After weeks of videos and speculation, Tiger Woods made it official: He's coming back.
On Monday, Woods announced on Twitter he'll return to competitive golf at next month's Hero World Challenge (Nov. 30-Dec. 3) in the Bahamas. Woods and Daniel Berger were given the final two spots in the 18-man field. Just a guess, but it probably wasn't a tough decision to add the 14-time major champ to the event.
"I am excited to return to competitive golf at the Hero World Challenge,” Woods said in a statement on his website. “Albany is the perfect setting, and it will be great to join this outstanding field. I want to thank Pawan Munjal and Hero MotoCorp for their continued support of this tournament and my foundation. I would also like to thank the fans for their unwavering support during my injury.”
Woods hasn't played in a tournament since withdrawing after the first round of the Dubai Desert Classic in February. In April, he underwent a fourth back surgery.
Woods also made a long-awaited return at the Hero World Challenge in 2016. He tied for the most birdies made at the event, but only finished 15th of 17 players.
At the very least, Woods has a chance to finish what has been a rough year off the course with some positives on it. In addition to dealing with his bad back, on Friday Woods pled guilty to reckless driving after entering a pre-trial diversion program stemming from a Memorial Day DUI arrest.
An assistant captain at last month's Presidents Cup, Woods admitted at Liberty National that he could "definitely" see a scenario in which he never returned to competitive golf. However, that statement seemed less likely with each swing video Woods shared, including one last week that he captioned "Return of the Stinger" and showed off his patented low-trajectory tee shot.
Two days later, Ian Baker-Finch created more buzz when he said Woods "looked good" when he saw him playing at Medalist Golf Club. And in just a few weeks, golf fans will get to see for themselves.