Ignorance Is Bliss?
We quizzed some patrons on their Masters knowledge and you might be outraged they’re there instead of you
Every golf group has its share of Masters nerds, the sort of people who know Jack Nicklaus’ career par-5 scoring average at Augusta National, or the type of exotic fish stocked in Rae’s Creek (this is not a real thing—don’t let them fool you!).
By contrast, there are fans who know either nothing, or worse, just enough to get everything a little wrong. We’d call these people mostly harmless, but if they end up at the Masters instead of you, you have permission to quietly resent them (exceptions are made when those same people bring you back a shirt).
Anyway, it used to be easy to ignore other people’s Masters ignorance, but then our Hally Leadbetter went around quizzing some patrons on fairly easy Masters trivia and, well, we’re not saying their credentials should be revoked. You just hope they learn from the experience. And that they know you wear a medium.
MORE MASTERS 2021 STORIES FROM GOLF DIGEST:
- Masters 101—Everything you need to know about the major
- How to watch the Masters on TV and streaming online
- The entire 2021 Masters field, ranked
- How to win a green jacket in 7 simple steps
- Our 13 best bets to win the 2021 Masters
- 50 defining moments in Masters history, ranked
- The complete changes to Augusta National
- When should a past champion call it a career at Augusta?
- 9 famous Masters myths—separating fact from fiction
- The most memorable rules issues in Masters history
- At Augusta, the jockeying for position begins with practice rounds
- What’s it like to play at Augusta National as a guest