Photo Essay: Baltusrol Golf Club
July 23, 2016
Baltusrol Golf Club’s Tudor-style clubhouse was built in 1909 after the original clubhouse, a converted farm house, burned down.
A member of the superintendent’s staff meticulously prepares a bunker for play.
One of a handful of leaded-glass window treatments bearing an early logo.
Bob Carpenter, 78, has worked part-time at Baltusrol for 50 years. He says he fishes out 3,000 to 4,000 balls a year from the pond fronting the par-3 fourth.
A solitary wood rake among the greenside bunkers on the par-4 15th.
The Lower Course’s signature par-3 fourth. Both the Lower and Upper courses were designed by A.W. Tillinghast between 1918 and 1922.
The superintendent’s staff leaves a trail in the early morning dew.
A view of the clubhouse from the first tee of the Lower Course.
Caddies play card games while waiting for the next loop.
The par-4 13th is where Bobby Jones essentially lost the 1926 Amateur to George Von Elm after pushing his drive into a ditch along the right side of the fairway.
A compilation of the club’s historic rounds is on display in the clubhouse grillroom.
"Larry the Looper,” 69, began caddieing at Baltusrol 40 years ago. The rate to carry a bag then was $8. Today it’s $80.
The Baltusrol clubhouse features a number of rooms for members and guests.
Mack, Baltusrol’s resident border collie.
A sampling of the clubhouse décor.
A group tees off on the first hole of the Upper Course.
The Club Champions board features annual winners dating from 1899.
One of the many stately old trees lining the fairways of the Lower Course.
Steve Thompson began caddieing at Baltusrol 25 years ago to earn money to take his girlfriend to his high-school prom.
The shoe station in the men’s locker room features a faded photograph of Payne Stewart from the 1993 U.S. Open at Baltusrol.
Baltusrol will host its second PGA Championship this week to go with seven U.S. Opens, four U.S. Amateurs, two U.S. Women’s Opens and two U.S. Women’s Amateurs.