Courtesy of San Francisco GC
San Francisco Golf Club’s original routing was done mostly by a trio of club members, who first staked out the course in 1918. A.W. Tillinghast remodeled the course in 1923, establishing its signature greens and bunkering. He also added the par-3 seventh, called the “Duel Hole” because its location marks the spot of the last legal duel in America. Three holes were replaced in 1950 in anticipation of a street widening project that never happened. In 2006, the original holes were re-established by Tom Doak and his then-associate, Jim Urbina.
100 Greatest: Ranked since 1971.
2023-'24 ranking: 33rd.
Previous ranking: 36th.
Highest ranking: 18th, 1999-2002.
Best in State: Ranked fifth, 2011-'14, 2023-'24. Ranked sixth, 2015-'22.
Current ranking: Fifth.
Previous ranking: Sixth.