ALL TIMES EASTERNTHURSDAY, SEPT. 29
Opening ceremony, 5-8 p.m., Golf Channel
FRIDAY, SEPT. 30
Four morning foursomes (alternate-shot) matches followed by four afternoon four-ball (better-ball) matches, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Golf Channel
SATURDAY, OCT. 1
Four morning foursomes matches followed by four afternoon four-ball matches, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., NBC
SUNDAY, OCT. 2
Twelve singles matches, noon-6 p.m., NBC
Each match is worth one point, with matches ending in a draw worth ½ point to each side. The first team to reach 14½ points wins the Ryder Cup. If the matches end in a 14-14 draw, Europe, as the defending champion, would retain the cup.
FUTURE RYDER CUP VENUES
2018: Le Golf National, Versailles, France
2020: Whistling Straits (Straits), Kohler, Wis.
2022: Marco Simone G. & C.C., Rome
2024: Bethpage Black, Farmingdale, N.Y.
The United States has a 25-13-2 record overall, but since the Great Britain & Ireland team added the rest of Europe in 1979, the Europeans are 10-7-1, including consecutive wins at Celtic Manor, Medinah and Gleneagles.
Key statistics in Europe's 16½-11½ victory at Gleneagles:
• In 462 holes, Europe won 119 holes to the U.S. team's 104, taking the first lead in 16 of 28 matches.
• On matches going to the last three holes, Europe had a 15-11-20 advantage.
• On matches going to the 18th hole, Europe led, 5-4-2.
• The teams tied on par 3s (21-21-57) and par 4s (66-66-144). On par 5s, Europe led, 32-17-38.
• Europe led in holes won with a birdie or better (86-76) and holes won with a par (33-27). The U.S. team won the only hole captured with a bogey or worse.
HAZELTINE AMONG THE 100 GREATEST
Hazeltine is ranked 86th among Golf Digest's 100 Greatest Courses. Its ranking among the 100 Greatest by category:
Shot Values: 53rd
Resistance to Scoring: 24th
Design Variety: 91st
MAJOR EVENTS AT HAZELTINE
Ryder Cup 2016
PGA Championship 2002, 2009
U.S. Open 1970, 1991
U.S. Women's Open 1966, 1977
U.S. Senior Open 1983
U.S. Amateur 2006
U.S. Mid-Amateur 1994