Daniel Murphy, Taylor Swift and Steve Jobs: 5 things to talk about on the course this weekend
From sports to TV to politics (OK, so mostly the first two), we offer five hot topics that are sure to liven up your round of golf:
1. The World Series: As a Yankees fan surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious, gloating Mets supporters, I've resigned myself to the fact that the Mets are winning no matter who they play when the Fall Classic begins on Tuesday night (Thanks for the effort, Cubs). So don't even bother watching. But seriously, Royals/Blue Jays, can you help a brother out?
2. NBA opening night: Pro basketball is back as of Tuesday night! No clue why the NBA kicks off the same night the World Series starts, but that evening will feature juicy doubleheader on TNT. First, LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavs play the Chicago Bulls, followed by the defending champ Golden State Warriors taking on the rising New Orleans Pelicans, who may just have the league's best player this season in Anthony Davis. And then there's my New York Knicks. Vegas has set their over/under wins total at 31.5 (Psst: It's an 82-game season so that's not good) and the smart people at FiveThirtyEight.com are saying to take the under. In other words, more fun times ahead at The Garden!
3. Steve Jobs: Hopefully, this biopic opening in theaters this weekend provides a bit more entertainment. And hopefully, my wife lets me see it, even if that means seeing "The Intern" or whatever other sappy movie is out now. Just watch this trailer:
How good does that look?! The production company is Legendary Pictures and it features a great cast. More importantly, it had me at Aaron Sorkin.
4. Daniel Murphy: What in the world is going on with this guy? After averaging fewer than nine home runs per season, Murphy has hit seven home runs in nine playoff games, including setting an MLB record by homering in six consecutive postseason games. Oh yeah, he just happens to be a free agent whenever his season concludes. Hmm. Dude is about to get PAID. Speaking of which. . .
5. Taylor Swift: Yeah, yeah, we were just talking about her and that GQ cover shoot a couple weeks ago, but there's news concerning the pop superstar goddess that we have to address. No, it's got nothing to do with her relationship status, but rather the status of her bank account. Did you know Taylor, 25, has made more than $1 million per day in 2015. I'll say that again: $1 MILLION PER DAY.