News & Tours
May 29, 2020

Colonial keeping no-fan policy despite new Texas order

Colonial-Country-Club.jpg

Getty Images

The Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial C.C. is sticking to its plan.

The Colonial, the longest-running PGA Tour event still conducted at its original host site, will be the first tournament back in the tour’s season restart in the second week of June. However, when announcing the sport’s return following the COVID-19 pandemic in April, the tour outlined its first four events back would be without fans.

But last week, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued a revised proclamation to allow spectators at outdoor events up to 25 percent of the venue’s capacity, ostensibly giving the tour and Colonial a chance to welcome spectators on the hallowed Fort Worth grounds.

Nevertheless, both the tour and tournament organizers say Colonial will be conducted as a fan-less competition.

Charles Schab Challenge tournament director Michael Tothe told the Dallas Morning News that there were, “No changes” to report. “No fans. Too late to change,” Tothe said on Thursday. In a statement to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, a tour spokesperson said “our focus right now” is hosting a tournament sans crowd.

It’s worth noting the news coincides with the John Deere Classic, the fifth tournament on the tour’s revamped schedule, announcing it would cancel this year’s event, a decision partly made after discovering Illinois COVID-19 guidelines would not allow them to entertain spectators or a pro-am at the tournament.

The Colonial begins on June 11. Kevin Na is the defending champ.

You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 or use a different web browser.