Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club

Deal, Kent, England Private


Resting just three miles from Royal St. George's (No. 20), the Royal Cinque Ports links rolls over gentle oceanfront sand dunes with some holes playing off a single prominent ridge that runs the length of the property. Cinque (pronounced sank) Ports hosted two British Opens, in 1909 won by J.H. Taylor, and 1920 won by George Duncan. It was slated to host three others, in 1915, 1938 and 1949, but a combination of a World War and ocean storms forced officials to move the championship elsewhere each time. The present course is far different than Tom Dunn’s original design. Before the 1920 Open, James Braid rearranged the layout, adding several new holes, including all four of the present par 3s. In the process, he abandoned the beloved, blind par-3 fourth, called “Sandy Parlour,” but his replacement fourth, playing off a dune toward the ocean, has become beloved as well.


Holes 18
Length 7367
Facility Type Private
Year Opened 1892
Designer Tom Dunn (1895), Sir Guy Campbell (1949), Martin Ebert (2007)


Collection of reviews from our readers

There are no reader ratings yet


There are no readers reviews yet. Be the first to write a review.