John Daly to play in PNC Father/Son Challenge for the first time
A year of firsts will continue for John Daly. The two-time major turned 50 in April and played in his first PGA Tour Champions event in May, he was the subject of the first full-length ESPN "30 for 30" on golf in November, and now, he'll play in the PNC Father/Son Challenge for the first time in December.
Daly and his son, John Daly Jr., were among the 20 father-son teams released on Monday. And it's quite a group of big names, including 13 World Golf Hall of Fame members, from Jack Nicklaus to Lee Trevino to Nick Faldo. Here's the full list of teams:
Lanny and Tucker Wadkins are the defending champs of the Dec. 8-11 event at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club at Grande Lakes in Orlando.
“I have said many times before that the PNC Father/Son is one of the most anticipated events of the year for me, as it gives me a chance to catch up with a lot of friends and a rare chance to tee it up with one of my sons,” Nicklaus said in the release. “People always ask me what my dream foursome would be, and I always say I would try to bend the rules and play as a fivesome, so all four of my sons could come along. So to be able to partner with my son Jack II in a fun but competitive environment, such as the Father-Son, is going to make for a great couple of days."
Daly Jr., aka Little John, or "LJ" as Daly refers to him in the "30 for 30" film Hit It Hard, will be one of the youngest participants in the event, having turned 13 this summer. For comparison, Jack Nicklaus II, is 55.
We know from the documentary that LJ is a promising player. Unfortunately, we don't have access to any recent pictures of the two together, but how cute is this photo from the 2011 Alfred Dunhill Links Championship?
And Daly tweeted this last year:
As much as we're looking forward to seeing the two play together for a purse of over $1 million, we're even more excited to see what coordinated outfits they wear.