The year is winding down, but the golf season is gearing up, at least at the professional level. Here are some great tips from top players that will serve as my New Year's Resolutions (golf category) for 2012. They might work well for you, too.
1. Keep my swing connected so I maintain an inside-to-inside path for distance and accuracy. (From PGA Champion Keegan Bradley's headcover drill--see the previous Weekend Tip.)
2. Stick my finish on short putts so I make every four-footer. (From Brian Gay, who made 98.24 percent of his putts under five feet in 2011.)
3. Finish with the clubhead low on my chips and short pitches, so I make solid contact and never scoop again. (From Luke Donald, who became the No. 1 ranked player in the world and led both the PGA Tour and the European Tour money list in 2011.)
4. Kiss my left shoulder at the top of my driver swing,which guarantees a full turn and serious clubhead speed through the ball. (From Bubba Watson, who hit a drive 415 yards and averaged 314.1 yards in 2011.)
5. Play the ball farther back and tee it lower when I need control. This will keep me centered over the ball at the top for accuracy off the tee, like when there's out of bounds right and water left. (From Rickie Fowler, who thinks 2012 will be his "Go Time.")
See you next year!