Saturday's Walker Cup pairings
(all times local)
9 a.m.--Tom Lewis/Michael Stewart vs. Peter Uihlein/Harris English
9:10 -- Jack Senior/Andy Sullivan vs. Russell Henley/Kelly Kraft
9:20 -- Paul Cutler/Alan Dunbar vs. Nathan Smith/Blayne Barber
9:30 -- Steven Brown/Stiggy Hodgson vs. Patrick Cantlay/Chris Williams
1:45 p.m.--Tom Lewis vs. Peter Uihlein
1:55 -- Jack Senior vs. Jordan Spieth
2:05 -- Andy Sullivan vs. Harris English
2:15 -- Rhys Pugh vs. Patrick Rodgers
2:25 -- Steven Brown vs. Russell Henley
2:35 -- James Byrne vs. Nathan Smith
2:45 -- Paul Cutler vs. Kelly Kraft
2:55 -- Michael Stewart vs. Patrick Cantlay
Quick early thoughts:
* I'm a little surprised that Uihlein isn't paired with Smith in foursomes. The two won both their matches together at Merion in 1999. U.S. captain Jim Holtgrieve said that the windy conditions at Royal Aberdeen caused him to split the two apart after he originally planned to repair them.
"Merion is a much different golf club than Royal Aberdeen," Holtgrieve said. "Robbie [Zalzneck, the team manager] and I looked and assessed the situation and that's why I've got Harris and Peter together."
* The marquee match of the afternoon in my mind is Tom Lewis against Peter Uihlein in the lead-off spot. Both captains are expecting their guys to set the tone and both players will have seen each other in their morning foursomes match. Could be very entertaining.
* Holtgrieve has both his youngsters, Jordan Spieth and Patrick Rodgers, sitting out the morning foursomes matches. The two are no doubt going to be pretty excited/nervous on Saturday. Having the morning to calm down and then make their debuts in the afternoon seems like a very smart play.
* Spieth's single match with Jack Senior is a rematch of their quarterfinal tilt at the U.S. Amateur two weeks ago at Erin Hills. Senior won that time, 1 up.
* Cantlay's afternoon singles match with Michael Stewart pits the runner-up at the U.S. and British Amateurs.